Cherry Bloosoms

Monday, October 4, 2010

Surface Gardening


"For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline. So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner. But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God."
1 Timothy 1:6-8


I was out pulling weeds the other day when I realized that all I was doing was brushing the surface. With only an hour of time and friends coming over the next day, I really only had time to pull what would be seen along the front fringe of the natural area. And I barely got to the garden in the back. If I could keep up a garden as well as Adam, fertilizing, watering, and weeding a little on a daily basis, the yard and garden would be in much better shape.

How often do we do that with our spiritual lives? How often do you read a litte of scripture here and there but not every day? Do you go to God in prayer when only things are bad? I can honestly say that I tend to engage in "surface gardening" when it comes to spiritual discipline myself. I've heard that God is the Master Gardner. If we go to him on a daily basis He can make life so much more. More fulfilling. I pray for the strength to "grow" through more time and study with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment